Thursday, October 27, 2011

Beatles?

I think I mentioned in previous blogs my association with the Beatles. It began when I worked with Harry Harrison, the brother of George Harrison. I bought Harry's motor bike, a Cotton, 250 cc Indian. One day Harry came to me and asked if I would varnish his younger brother's guitar...'sure' I said....24 hours later he took it back to George. I hope it looked better, for certain it looked a million dollars better, and no doubt sounded better!
I later sold my motor bike to my pal Ted, I had damaged the gear box....Ted didn't mind as he pushed it all the way to Old Swan in Liverpool.
My dad was a pal of George Harrison's father, also named Harry. Harry as the world knows was a bus driver. He could never pass me in the street driving his bus...without offering me lift...rather like a taxi! I travelled on his bus often and free!
Working with Harry Harrison (George's brother) was short lived. Harry left our place of work to live 'over the water' in Ellesmere Port...I lost track of him after that.
George and I go back a long way. On my way to art school...(the same art school where John Lennon studied art)..he and Paul McCartney would get the number 80, or 82 bus, in Western Avenue, to Liverpool. The 80 went by Penny Lane..where often the conductor would shout out 'Penny Lane'...I often sat next to George because we both smoked cigarettes then...Paul I knew as he lived in Western avenue. We had attended the same Primary School.
A friend of my father, Tommy Jordan suggested to Harry Harrison that as an artist, (although working with my dad as a painter) that I might wish to paint a portrait of George. Harry did eventually approach me and I subsequently painted George's portrait...a nice commission, I do believe I was the only artist to be paid by George's parents for a painting his portrait. I had recently placed two pictures in the Royal Academy summer exhibition.....I was handsomely paid by Harry Harrison....but rejected by the academy! You can't win 'em all!

No comments: