Thursday, January 12, 2012

A wonderful day out in England

Birdwatching...Yes, true, I went to Topsham in Devon, and as a member of the RSPB I found Bowling Green Marsh...a 'hide' where we could watch many waders of all kinds..(it is here that I show my ignorance as I am fairly new at the is game in England). But there were Snipes and Avocets, a gent standing next to saw a Kingfisher, but there were many many more.
  In Spain I belong to the Costa Blanca Birdwatchers......and the birds are as one might except, quite different. Saw a Golden eagle and Buzzards feeding up in the mountains around Xativa, and many many more.
  Getting back to Devon, it is no secret that CTCRM is just along the River Exe, to the left of the hide. Now that brings back many memories! A mud-run (just for fun) said the corporal Marine. It was a long time ago and I am sure commando training has changed, but I must point out, I was only a Reservist...Ah, as someone pointed out, there are Reservists in Afghanistan....I take my hat off to those lads. Again, CTCRM is mentioned in my book, 'Logan's Touch.'..Major Harry Kewell....meets Wes Van-den-Heuval in the Mess....
  Which brings me to the end of a five mile walk (all around Topsham) with coffee in a great coffee house (I don't know the name)....it's on the left as you head out of town...But before I leave I must point out the Globe Hotel. (This is a 16th century old coaching inn....They have Doombar beer...to the uninitated, it's in the league of Spitfire, or Tribute..even Otter beer, which reminds me of a second book..A Hurricane's Tale. Flying along the Otter Valley....magic!
What a wonderful day, the estuary bathed in sunlight...easy enough now to forget the mountains around Xativa, and bask in the beauty of the River Exe.

No comments: